Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Burn On!

Hey all this is my first post of the new year, so of course while attempting to not be cliche or cheesy I'm going to address a very prominent topic: New Year's Resolutions. 

Tis the season for gyms to be over-crowded with folks trying to shed off that holiday hangover that stretches out over their pants, for health food stores to be selling out of their low fat items, and for nike outlets to be selling out of their new running shoes. As we across america make our resolutions and begin to implement them into our lives.

This got me thinking why do we make these resolutions? Why year after year do people strive to lose weight or get back in shape? After some thought I think I may have it down, because innately I believe we as people recognize there are areas in our lives in need of improvement so in order to improve our lives we resolve to change.

This led me to smile and have joy that in a sense New Years Resolutions can be a wake up call from apathy as it drives us to change. However, then I realized woah! Our society's big wake up call is that we need to change how we look? This is really where we need improvement and this is really how we are going to better the world??

What lasting impact does this have? How does losing 15 pounds really impact your neighborhood. Now pleas understand my heart, I'm not trying to say losing weight before bathing suit season is a bad thing. However what I am saying is I think there is a better use of our resolution. If we are going to resolve to do something, to place significant effort into something, it should be worth the effort!

So with that being said, allow me to possibly remind you of a very simple but life-changing concept.

Matthew 6:33 "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

This year for an impact that lasts strive to with everything you have seek God! Pursue a deepening relationship with Him that so consumes you that it effects every aspect of your life. 

I once heard someone say "I want God to set a Fire in me that burns so wildly people want to watch me burn." We find in Hebrews 12 That God is an all consuming fire. So this New Year may we simply but passionately Burn On! 

We will have off days, even weeks, but unlike our resolutions to lose weight; let's not quit after we miss the gym one day. Let's continue to press on. Fires will often wane at times only to have more fuel be added to them so that they will burn hotter and longer. Our love and passion for God is the fire; and through His word, prayer, and fellowship with other believer we have plenty of fuel. 

This January until the day we pass may we be a generation that seeks God with all our heart, and may we Burn On!


No comments:

Post a Comment